CHARLOTTE, N.C., March 17, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Fresh Express, the nation's No. 1 branded salads, announced eight new product launches today, including a line of Functional Health Salad Kits, as well as expanded offerings to existing lines. These products will be available on-shelves starting Wednesday, March 18 nationwide.
Functional Health Salad Kits:
Market research indicated that functional foods or foods that provide added health benefits are on trend and relevant to consumers. Research also indicates that 55% of adults prefer buying packaged foods for nutritional benefits rather than supplements. Fresh Express' newest line of salad kits, Functional Health Salad Kits are redefining salads by focusing on a specific health need and delivering benefits against those needs – in the most delicious and convenient way possible. Functional Health Salad Kits are available in Heart Health, Antioxidant, and Digestive Health.
- Heart Health Kit: Not only is the Heart Health Kit good for your taste buds, it's good for your heart! While many factors affect heart disease, the No. 1 cause of death in the United States, diets low in saturated fat and cholesterol may reduce the risk of this disease. The Heart Health Kit includes ingredients specifically chosen for their health benefits, such as spinach, kale, beet tops, shredded broccoli, shredded carrots, dried cranberries, and sliced almonds with basil balsamic vinaigrette that combined qualify the kit as heart healthy.
- Antioxidant Kit: Antioxidants such as vitamins C and E work hard in the body to maintain cell and tissue health. The Antioxidant Kit with a tantalizing blend of spinach, baby kale, red cabbage, shredded carrots, feta cheese, sunflower kernels, and dried blueberries with pomegranate blueberry vinaigrette provides an excellent source of vitamins C and a good source of vitamin E.
- Digestive Health Kit: Fiber helps maintain a healthy digestive system. Women need 25 grams of fiber per day, and men need 38 grams per day, according to the Institute of Medicine. The Digestive Health Kit contains 3 grams of fiber per serving, and features a flavorful mix of spinach, baby kale, pak choi, beet tops, shredded carrots, dates, sliced almonds, and flaxseed with a sesame ginger dressing.
Caesar Kit with Greek Yogurt Dressing:
Looking for an easy way to cut calories without sacrificing taste? Fresh Express' new Caesar Kit with Greek Yogurt Dressing features Greek Yogurt Caesar dressing, with all of the rich, creamy flavors consumers love – and half the calories and fat of traditional Caesar dressings. Savory, restaurant-style garlic croutons provide added flavor and crunch.
Juicing Greens Line Expansion:
As more consumers continue to incorporate greens into their smoothies and juices, Fresh Express' Juicing Greens line will expand its offering with three new products: Vitality, Refresh, and Organic. The Juicing Greens line provides a nutrient-dense, convenient, and pre-washed way to include greens in juices and smoothies. Simply throw in a handful with your favorite ingredients, blend, and drink!
- Vitality: Revitalize your drink with the Vitality assortment, which includes spring mix, baby kale, and shredded carrots.
- Refresh: Refresh your day with an instant boost of spinach, chard, baby kale, and beet tops.
- Organic: An organic version of the existing Juicing Green classic, Replenish, Organic offers a mix of baby kale and spinach.
Organic Product Expansion:
Fresh Express is proud to add two new USDA-certified products to its Organic portfolio – Super Greens and Juicing Greens' Organic.
- Super Greens: A nutritious blend of spinach, arugula, and chard, this organic Super Greens mix boasts only the most flavorful greens.
- Juicing Greens' Organic: Organic baby kale and spinach are the perfect additions to any smoothie or juice.
"Consumers today want to be healthier, but they're busier than ever," said Bob Stallman, Chiquita's Vice President of Marketing for Salads and Healthy Snacking. "By continuously offering healthy, new, innovative salad kits, we hope to provide these consumers with more options to be healthy – without having to sacrifice time or taste."
For more information about Fresh Express and its products, please visit FreshExpress.com.
About Fresh Express:
Fresh Express, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Chiquita Brands International, Inc. (NYSE: CQB), is a leader in fresh foods and is dedicated to providing consumers with healthy, convenient ready-to-eat salads, leafy greens, vegetables and fruits. With the invention of its special Keep Crisp® Bag in the 1980s, Fresh Express pioneered the retail packaged salad category and was the first to make them available to grocery stores nationwide. Today, Fresh Express fresh salads come in more than 60 different varieties offering exciting new flavors and convenient new ways to meet the daily dietary requirements for fresh produce. More than 20 million consumers each week enjoy healthy, convenient ready-to-eat Fresh Express salads, spinach, vegetables and greens. For more information, visit www.FreshExpress.com.
 Statista, 2014
 BCG Group, 2012
 CDC, NCHS. Underlying Cause of Death 1999-2013 on CDC WONDER Online Database, released 2015. Data are from the Multiple Cause of Death Files, 1999-2013, as compiled from data provided by the 57 vital statistics jurisdictions through the Vital Statistics Cooperative Program. Accessed Feb. 3, 2015.
 FDA, "Guidance for Industry: A Food Labeling Guide (11. Appendix C: Health Claims)," January 2013.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/salad-and-juicing-lovers-rejoice-fresh-express-debuts-eight-new-products-300051381.html
SOURCE Fresh Express